A new solution for large scale energy storage
Investing in the Future of Energy Storage
“… modeling suggests that Long Duration Energy Storage has the potential to deploy 1.5 to 2.5 terawatts (TW) power capacity—or 8 to 15 times the total storage capacity deployed today – globally by 2040. Likewise, it could deploy 85 to 140 terawatt-hours (TWh) of energy capacity by 2040 and store up to 10 percent of all electricity consumed. This corresponds to a cumulative investment of USD 1.5 trillion to USD 3 trillion and to potential value creation of USD 1.3 trillion by 2040.”
Net-zero power – Long duration energy storage for a renewable grid, a report by LDED Council and McKinsey and Company, 2021
Simple, clever and durable: The technical concept of Gravity Storage uses the gravitational power of a huge mass of rock. It will store electricity of large capacity between 0,5 and 10 GWh and will close the gap between renewable energy production and 24/7 supply with zero carbon electricity: cost-efficient,
at giga-scale, environmentally friendly.
This game changing technology meets all challenges of our times:
- Makes renewable a reliably energy source
- Easy to build and to operate
- Most resilient against terrorism than any other storage infrastructure
- Needs little rare raw materials
The Gravity Storage will be built using methods and techniques already known from the mining and tunneling industry. The objective here, however, is not the removal of the raw materials (as in mining) or the removal of the stone (as in tunneling), but rather the preservation of the rocks. Gravity Storage requires suitable geological conditions but no elevation difference.
Gravity Storage plants should be located in areas with solid bedrock. The most favorable sites have stable, little-faulted rock such as granite or compact layers of otherwise solid rock material.
The demand for energy storage will continue to grow strongly in the decades to come – due, in particular, to the following global megatrends in electricity supply:
- Solar and wind energy will become the dominant sources of power supply for a majority of nations. It´s roll-out is necessary to fight climate change and to decarbonize electricity production. More and more companies invest in renewable to reduce the carbon footprint of their products and to become climate neutral.
- Nations do strive for independency from energy imports which requires storage. Huge support programs in USA and Europe shall push a fast transformation.
Here you will find all downloads and our Q&A section soon.